Jimi Hendrix: Do You Hate or Love the Late Guitar Hero?

Perhaps no other rock and roll guitarist has been more electrifying in the history of rock music than the man, who was named Johnny at birth, was then re-named James but later named himself… Jimi Hendrix.

In the midst of the religious, ethnic, and political persecution inflicted upon African-Americans in the United States, during the Civil Rights era, Jimi ‘the sorcerer’ Hendrix unleased his Voodoo Child fury onto the world in 1967.

Along with guitarist-turned-bassist Noel Redding and drummer Mitch Mitchell, Jimi pioneered the original sounds in rock music history and set the rock guitar standard that is often imitated, but never equaled. Because of obvious reasons, many Jimi haters almost always will not openly admit that fact to anyone. Have you ever wondered why some so-called rock guitar enthusiasts almost always hate Jimi Hendrix? Incredible, isn’t it?

Jimi Hendrix was a self-taught, left-handed pioneer of rock guitar, who played a right-handed guitar upside-down with the strings re-strung for a left-hander. The guitar god’s debut album, Are You Experienced, continues to set the standard against which all other rock guitarists are measured. Ultimately, he had mastered the craft to become the rock guitar legend of all times. His guitar virtuosity, powered by overdriven amplifiers, is second to none. Period!

But, I digress… I would like to publicly acknowledge respected rock guitarists of the past fifty years. I have only posted Hendrix, along with 23 other guitarists, each of whom I deemed great Guitar Heroes:

1. Jimi Hendrix
  19. Keith Richards
  20. Angus Young
  21. George “Buddy” Guy
  22. Lita Ford
  23. Stevie Salas
  24. and Joan Jett

In my most humble opinion, Jimi Hendrix is the Grand Master Ruler against which all other guitarists are measured, a fact to which I’m sticking like celebrity photographers sticking to the latest celebrities in Hollywood, California.

Lastly, here are a few famous quotes by Jimi Hendrix:

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”

“Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.”

About Wil Ford

Wil Ford — a disabled U.S. Marine veteran and the founder of Wil's Domain — is a technologist extraordinaire with whom bloggers, Webmasters, Web developers and other technologist extraordinaires from around the world connect. A native of New York City, Wil writes articles on many and varied topics in which he is sincerely interested.
This entry was posted in Famous Celebrities and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Jimi Hendrix: Do You Hate or Love the Late Guitar Hero?

1. mario says:

this man is one forefather of this sound…..the best ever

2. shane says:

hes the most influencial guitarist in existence.

3. dxg180 says:

Are you experienced? apparently not Jimmy… Light years ahead of us….

4. Luke says:

what about Jeff Tamelier from tower of power for guitar heroes

5. Cody says:

what about Yngwie Malmsteen for guitar heroes too?

• Wil Ford says:

Yngwie Johann Malmsteen (whose real name is Lars Johan Yngve Lannerbäck) is indeed a great guitar hero; however, he is no match against mega stars/guitar gods like David Gilmour or Jimmy Page.

Gilmour and Page exemplify the GRAND MASTER FRETBOARD against which all other guitarists are measured except for the ultimate guitar god… Jimi Hendrix! 😀

BTW, I love Guitar Hero II (the Xbox 360 version). Have you earn the Yngwie Malmsteen award, yet? You only need to hit 1,000 or more music notes in succession in order to win the coveted award. Yes, I like Yngwie. That Swedish guitarist is one of my favorite guitar heroes, too. 😀

Thank you very much for posting your comment, Cody. You are very kind. You rock! 😀

6. linda says:

jimi stands alone. he is a guitar in a mansuit. i had to pull over one day as i was driving because of what i was listening to by jimi. it was just too good to bear.

7. Seng-Ge Dorje says:

I love Jimi for all he was and wasn’t. Such a fantastic musical visionary, it was a shame he died so young.

8. BassGuyGG says:

Jimi Hendrix has long been one of my guitar idols. Ever since I got “Axis: Bold As Love” from my record club, I have been a rabid fan. He is one of my Rock heroes, both for the music he left and what he meant in those turbulent times.

Unfortunately, Jimi advocated and helped perpetuate the myth of consciousness expansion through drugs. A lot of brothers and sisters embarked on such explorations and never came back whole.

Although Jimi Hendrix’s “experience” with drugs led to his untimely demise, his music shall live forever.

Take care.

9. Babs says:

Best guitarist ever, I have felt this way since the first time I ever heard his first album in 1967. I can only imagine how he would have evolved in the last 39 yrs. with the improvements in technology.

10. sheila says:

I was at Woodstock and on the final day very early in the morning…I was woken by a screaming guitar playing the Star Spangled Banner. I opened my eyes and above me was Jimi Hendrix….my idol then and my idol now. A priceless moment.

11. Jared C. Cason says:

I very much agree Jimi was a true Ax wizard no other ax musician in history can touch his exploration and expansion of the guitar like Hendrix did (in the 60’s). They may never be another guitarist to get those sounds to pour fluently from their instrument as Hendrix did, with pedals or sound equipment to help.

But for your guitar gods you mentioned Dave Gilmour, but did not mention SYD BARRETT who created Pink Floyd and was just has a crazy ax master as Jimi just less lime light. {check out “Piper at the Gates of Dawn”, “See Emily Play”, and “The Madcap Laughs”, Also “Saucer Full of Secrets”.}

Another Ax master of todays time LARRY LALONDE from the band Primus the guy is exquisite. Then The bass player for primus who is the not only bass player but rhythm too, so that Lalonde can do his crazy solos, LES CLAYPOOL His solos on bass are just as rightous as any lead guitarists. Claypool is to bass guitar like Hendrix (and Barrett) were to the electric guitar {check out “Sailing The Seas of Cheese”, “The Brown Album”, and “Anti-Pop”} just to name a few.

Thank you very much for your comment.

Yes, Syd Barrett, Larry Lalonde and Les Claypool are on the same tier as Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, Jimmy page, Slash “Saul Hudson and the other aforementioned guitarists.

Thank you once again for sharing your comment.

Take care. You rock, Jared. 😀

12. JASON says:

Great points you make here. How about another awesome guitarist, Phil Keaggy? Glass Harp was his band…he went solo as a Christian musician, of course. He was great then and is even better now! Also I am a bit partial to Alex Lifeson of Rush fame. he really came a long way over the years.

Rock on!

How are you? Thank you very much for mentioning Phil Keaggy, one of the true talents from the 1960’s and the 1970’s. Yes, he is definitely one of the greats. Hmmm… You gave me an idea for a future Weblog entry.

Take care and rock on!

13. JASON says:

Also forgot to mention Stevie Ray Vaughan. His “Little Wing” is a great tribute to Jimi and a great acheivement in its own right.

Stevie Ray Vaughan is one of the true legends.

R.I.P., Stevie.

Thanks again Jared. Rock on!